- Do you have old towels, sheets, bath mats, and comforters that have taken over you linen closet?
Then box them up and drop them off at your local humane society, shelter or Veterinary clinic. These items
help line cages and kennels to add comfort and warmth for the pets.
- Cleaning out your garage and have extra pet carriers, kennels, beds and food bowls in good working order?
Donate them to a rescue organization. Kennels and carriers are used to transport pets to foster homes, adoption locations and even to their new forever homes.
- Other items that organizations always need are:
Bleach, paper towels, newspapers, leashes, dog food, cat food, training pads, cat litter, dog and cat toys, trash bags, disinfectants, cleaners, etc.
So you have cleaned your house and simplified your life. Next on the New Year’s Resolution list is to get in shape and lose weight. I know you are wandering how this can help adoptable pets. Well throughout the year local organizations have 5k runs and walks to raise money. So lace up those running shoes and let’s get moving for a good cause!
- January 25. 2014: Dog gone cold 5K Hosted by Hopeful Hounds
- CSRA Humane Society usually has a dog walk in April/ May
- Humane Society of South Carolina has the See Spot Run 5K in May
- October 11, 2014: 2nd Annual Bark-a-rita-ville and the Twilight Walk for Animals for SCPA of Aiken
- Check your local event calendars monthly for other animal related activities.
Lastly, if you and your family are thinking about adding a pet to the family please adopt a pet instead of buying. There are so many wonderful, loving pets that need a home every day in your local shelters. So here are a few of local organizations in the CSRA that could help you find the right pet for you. Click on the name and it will take you to their websites.
Richmond, Columbia, and Aiken County Animal Controls
CSRA Humane Society
Augusta Humane Society
Columbia County Humane Society
ASCPA in South Carolina
SPCA in Aiken